Follow by Email

Monday, June 6, 2011

In the grease assignment

Hi everyone!

Andrea here...

I spent the very wonderful evening last night outside and decided to flick card all of the corriedale fleece we got from julia for our in the grease assignment.  At first i was a bit disappointed in the crustiness of the tips.  My tips all had 1.5 inches of hard crust.  So hard you couldn't really separate the locks with your fingers very well.  But lo and behold, a thorough flick carding session opened them all up fairly nicely.  I also snapped about 1/4 inch of each tip completely off.  

Another thing I noticed was that the lock changed colour and crimp as it went from the base to the tip.

Anyway, it's all nice and fluffy now, waiting for me to get over my mental block in taking the first step do doing this assignment.  One reminder though for everyone. ...  separate a lock out BEFORE you start flicking for mounting purposes... I forgot, so now i'll just have to mount a lock that's been flicked and try to describe the crustiness instead of being able to show it. :)

Happy Spinning!
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. am washing one half of the fleece right now. :) I already have Ecover, so am using that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. after washing half, and then carding that half into rolags and spinning, I had *just* enough for a sample skein with maybe 4 wraps leftover on the niddy noddy. Not enough to knit up a swatch for this assignment. Hopefully that's alright.

    ReplyDelete