Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I have washed all the fleece that we got from the local farmer (during class). It was very dirty and full of vegetable matter. I washed it 4 times. some of the vegetable matter fell out during pickling and carding and more has come out with the spinning. my singles still have a small amount of vegetable matter in them. I am using the fleece for practice. right now I continuing to learn the drop spindle (it was new to me at class). I have not done any homework yet, but my goal is to have the dyeing done, not the mounting, etc just the dyeing, by next Tuesday when a friend from Edmonton arrives.
I now own some raw fleece form 2 sources. I ordered some white and grey Romney from Sunday Creek farm. We used some of it in class. Then I went to a fiber show in central NY and bought some black Border Leister that I thought looked nice. I saw Stella there! She was a participant. And I also saw Kim!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for getting that all washed. Having done mine I would have to say it was a lot of work for a not so fancy fleece. I’ve almost finished spinning it - I did a 2-ply - but it’s really springy! I could dye it orange and call it 'Tigger' it's that bouncy. I think I’m going to make something like a tea-cosy as the fibre doesn’t seem soft enough for something close to the skin but I’ll see once I swatch it and re-wash it. I still have some fluffy locks and I plan on dyeing them for colour contrast but need to re-practice with my dyes first. I think a lack of precision likely got the best of me the first go round of my dyeing experiment; yes I'm a tad impatient with this type of thing! Remind me again what year is the free-spirit anything goes part of the course, LOL! Cathy

    ReplyDelete